Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mango-Ginger Sorbet

We love mango.  Well, the girls in the family love mango.  We made regular mango sorbet before and loved it. 

But I found a mango-ginger sorbet recipe in Sweet Scoops by Shelly Kaldunski.  As a ginger lover, I had to try it.

DSC_8554

It definitely matched my expectations.  The combination of cool and hot (spicy) was definitely tantalizing!  This would be good after an Asian meal, particularly one with curry and/or coconut.  

I added a bit of crystallized ginger to my little bowl of sorbet and that only made it yummier!  In fact, the added heat from the candied ginger brought out the sweetness of the mango all the more. 

I must be honest, though and tell you that the rest of the family doesn’t love it.  The kids said, “Well, hmmmm…we like it.  But not really eat-it-all-the-time like it.  Maybe just once in a while.” 

Mike was not as diplomatic, “I don’t like this one.  I’ll stick to chocolate.”

Well, for those of you with more refined tastes, try this recipe!

(We’ll likely be making the pure-mango version soon…the kids would eat that all the time!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mango-Ginger Sorbet 

(according to the recipe in Sweet Scoops, this yield 1 quart, thought I only got half of that when I made it)

3/4 cup sugar

2 ripe mangos (about 2lbs total wt.) – I had a bunch of the smaller yellow mangos, so I used 4 of those. 

1 tbs peeled adn grated fresh ginger (do not substitute ground ginger)

2 tbs fresh lime juice

pinch salt

  1. Combine sugar and 3/4 cup water.  Boil, stirring occassionally to form a simple syrup
  2. Peel and dice mangoes.  Place mango in blender and add cooled syrup, ginger, lime juice and salt.  Blend until very smooth
  3. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until very cold (I did it overnight)
  4. Pour the cold mango puree into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. 
  5. Cover tightly and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.

No comments: