Saturday, July 3, 2010

Cantaloupe Sorbet

A mom’s gotta get those kids eating fruit, so I convinced the kids we should make a Cantaloupe Sorbet.  They were skeptical, but were game to try it once they got involved in the preparation.

This recipe was originally in the June/July issue of Taste of Home Magazine, but the recipe portion below was written by the girls.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Put one cup  of water in a pot.

2.  Put one cup of sugar in the same pot

3.  Heat the simple syrup until boiling.

4.  Let the simple syrup cool.

IMG_8699

5.  Cut 4 cups of cantaloupe.  IMG_8704

6.  After the simple syrup is cooled down, combine all the ingredients in the blender.  Blend until smooth. [the original recipe called for a food processor, but the blender worked for us!]

IMG_8709 IMG_8711

7.  Put cantaloupe mixture into the ice cream maker for about 25 minutes. IMG_8736

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our end product:

IMG_8744

OK, I admit, this was not our favorite recipe.  First,  the sorbet ended up being more of an ice than a sorbet.  One of the girls was in charge of the simple syrup, and I didn’t check to see if it was thick enough.  I think if the syrup were a little thicker, it wouldn’t be quite so icy. 

Also, it was too cantaloupe-y.  I think making it an ice cream would have tempered the melon-y sweetness.  Maybe next time we’ve got some extra cantaloupe, we’ll try cantaloupe ice cream.  I found a very yummy sounding recipe from Ben and Jerry’s!

I’ve seen cantaloupe paired with prosciutto.  (I’ve never tried it though…prosciutto doesn’t seem all that kid-friendly.)  I wonder if little bits of bacon would be a yummy topping with cantaloupe ice cream?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think if they like bacon, they'll like prosciutto,nicely crisped, of course!